H&N Electric has been seeing an influx of wind turbine component failures recently. As the Wind Division gets called on more frequently to perform root cause analysis (RCA’s) on failed components, work inturn increases for the motorshop. For many facilities that don’t have the capability to identify the problem, they call on us to inspect and determine whether there is a failure at hand. In cases where a failure has occurred, the equipment is sent to the H&N Electric shop to be worked on which has led to a significant increase in work for the motorshop.
We currently have five wind turbine generators in the shop, two in need of rewind. We estimate that we will continue to see the failure rate escalate due to the age of the equipment, and just as importantly for the repair center, the equipment’s warranty period is coming to an end. With the added gearbox work, we have gained significant traction as a preferred generator repair center, carrying a Master Service agreement (MSA) for PacifiCorp and hope to have a larger facility to continue to drive into the wind generator repair market full force soon.
Plug Into the Facts:
Electricity is there to help brew your morning coffee, operate your computer, heat your home, and run your television. We use electricity so often that we seldom think about the dangers. Take a moment to think about how often you depend upon electricity and answer the following questions. Every question you answer with “no”, is an opportunity for you to make your home a safer place to live.
• Are heat producing electrical appliances unplugged when you are not using them?
• Are electrical cords in good condition, not frayed or cracked?
• Are electrical outlets overloaded in your home?
• Are electrical cords kept out from beneath furniture and rugs?
• Do all outlets and light switches work?
Never use water on an electrical fire, you could get shocked. If the fire is small, turn the power off and use a multi-purpose (ABC) dry-chemical extinguisher to put out the fire. If you can’t turn the power off, or the fire is large, evacuate your home and dial 9-1-1 from a safe phone.
• Vibration Training - Mtn Motor Division - March 18-20
• Timken 401k plan presentations - March 29-21
• Roman and Bruce will attend APW - ABB Power World automation conference in Orlando, FL at the end of March for training
• RMEL Spring conference - Vail May 19-21 - Both Mountain Crane and Electric will be exhibiting
• 2013 EASA Convention in Las Vegas, NV - Karen, Carl and Craig will be attending